Why talk about school-work balance?
- Because more and more young people work while they pursue their studies
- Because work is an asset for school perseverance and for the development of various aptitudes, except when the student works too many hours per week
- Because there is a risk for the student to have difficulties at school or to drop out when:
- Their job prevents them from devoting the necessary time to their schoolwork and they fall behind.
- The number of paid work hours increases during exam periods or periods in which schoolwork must be submitted.
What are the advantages of having a job while in school?
- Increased self-esteem
- Development of a sense of autonomy and responsibility
- Learning to manage a budget
- Development of knowledge and skills
As a professional, you can put into place positive actions to promote school-work balance among young people:
- By offering workshops or coaching on various topics
- By supporting and guiding them when they experience school-work balance problems